Sunday, August 14, 2011

Perspective

I watched Soul Surfer with the kiddos a few nights ago, and I found myself crying throughout the entire movie. I was able to relate to that story on so many levels. I know the heart wrenching panic and anguish that comes when running to get help for something so tragic that your mind hasn't yet comprehended. I understand the mother's cry for God to not take her child. I know how life can change in a moment and your identity has been taken. I felt like I was able to relate to almost every character within the movie. The part of the movie that I felt compelled to share was when Carrie Underwood's character was giving a devotional on perspective. I realized that what she was describing was my exact coping mechanism for the past 2 1/2 years.

When looking at an object under a microscope or magnifying glass, you only see a small portion, and without prior knowledge of what you are looking at, you would have an incredibly hard time identifying the object. Many times when you are looking at an object up close, the image is blurry. This happens to us in life to. When things happen that we can't understand, we dissect the situation, examine it, and only look at it closely and the way it affects us. We need to step back and look at the larger picture in order to see clearly.

Situations happen to us, but we are not the only ones affected. While it's true that tragic situations affect us negatively, they can affect others in positive ways. When our daughter died, we had family members and friends give their life to Christ because of what they saw in our faith and church. These loved ones now have an eternal place in Heaven because of what happened to us. It's only because of seeing the "good and bigger" picture that we are able to walk in faith instead of depression. This life is only a small part of the eternal life we will have. The Apostle Paul describes this life as a vapor. When tragic things happen, you must step back, examine the eternal picture, and trust in the Lord. That is when you are truly able to see and things make sense.

The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. Nahum 1:7

1 comment:

  1. You and your family took a leap in faith despite your grief. God will continue to bless you for it.

    Psalm 40:1-3

    I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry.
    He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
    He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.
    He has given me a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
    Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.

    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2040&version=NLT

    ReplyDelete